Wednesday, May 30, 2012

an (awkward yet awesome)(true) story...



     I wrote and emailed this wacky story to my cousin and my siblings a few years ago of an...uh...interesting...adventure...


      I got to try a new form of seafood the other day. On Friday, one of my friends, Kyla, who's 8 years old, asked me if I ever had octopus. After I replied her with a "no", she asked me if I would willing to try it. I said yes, and she said she would bring some for me on Monday.  She'll probably forget about it, I thought to myself. 

           The weekend rolls on past, and I forget about it.  As I loaded my backpack in the Smith's car during the crisp, Monday morning, thinking about the wedding dresses from Say Yes To The Dress, Kyla ran up to me with a plastic bag of (mush?) baby octopus."I brought the octopus!" Kyla said to me excitedly, handing me the plastic bag. Ewwww... did I really ask to try this... mush? I asked myself. Breaking my thoughts, her mother, Mrs. Jones, chuckled and said, "Kyla was excited all morning to give it to Rae." I put on my Broadway smile and said,"Thank you, Kyla." I put it in my lunch box and hopped in the car.  Thanks a lot , Rae. Now you've done it. If you don't eat it, Kyla will be offended. If you do eat it, you'll probably find yourself puking in the garbage can at lunch in front of everyone and humiliated. I pictured Kyla's face if I told her I didn't want to try it anymore. Buck up, for crying out loud. You don't want to take her heart and rub it against a cheese grater, do you? I silently sighed. Okay, but you are paying for this!

         
During lunch, I looked at it. I tried to snap a leg off of it. All the third graders at the table were watching me. No pressure...no pressure...SNAP. It came off. Amy raised her eyebrows at me. No pressure..

         Jenna took my lunch box and put it in front of the octopus, "I am not watching this."  
         Amy said "Wait, I want to see what happens."  I put it in my mouth.  I chewed.  It was squishy.  And sweet.  It tasted good.  Well, now, I don't see you puking in a garbage can.  It actually tastes good.  
         Amy schrunched up her nose, "Do you actually like it?" "Yes."  I ate the rest of the legs except one which I gave to the Headmaster because he asked for one. He praised me. He praised my bravery. I asked Kyla if the head was edible.  "I am not sure," she replied. I still didn't eat the head. 

And that was my adventure of the week.  
 


**NOTE** I've changed all the names of the people involved so as to protect their privacy

4 comments:

  1. LOL, Great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got a lot of funny reactions from it when I first wrote it. It was very...different, but worthwhile :D

      ~Rae

      Delete
  2. can't say that I've ever tried octopus! you are brave indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, there! Feel free to share your thoughts. Just keep it sweet (but real).

If you disagree with something I say, why, speak up! But just be nice, alrighty?

I really appreciate everyone's comments and support-- I feel so blessed to have friends like you!

Oh, and don't forget to check back to see my response...:D

Have a lovely day, and I can't wait to hear (or read, rather) your thoughts.

In Christ alone,
Miss Hatcher