Wednesday, September 19, 2012

the benefits of bachelorette-hood - a few things i've learned

     One of the areas I feel like I've really grown in is learning to wait for that special someone. I'm not perfect at it, but because of the Spirit's continual work in me, I'm better than when I was (::ahem::) 3. If you asked me when I was five years old who I was going to marry, I probably could've--and would've-- given a name.

        Though I laugh about it now, it's still a serious concern to most of us. Who are you going to marry?

        Now, I didn't write this post with the intention of answering that question for you, because, honestly, it's a little out of my league. ;) I really and truly don't know.

    There really are a lot of great things about being single. Really. Although most of us would rather spend our days glorying in romance novels about that guy who just can't take his eyes off her, there are some other things we can do as we're waiting for Prince Charming.



1. pray 
"...pray without ceasing..." 1 Th. 5:17
  Yes: one of the best things you could do is pray. It's not emphasized by a lot of Christian-what's-a-girl-to-do-about-boys books. Pray for that old lady who lives across the street. Pray for your little brother. Pray for your future husband. Pray that you will grow more and more in God's Truth. It truly is a blessing.


2. learn how to cook 
 ("...and she provides food for her family...") Proverbs 31:15
  
     You don't have to be like Martha Stewart to know how to fix a simple meal for your family. Even if you don't like to cook, or believe you "can't" cook, just try to learn some basics (Easy Mac does not count! :D). 

    And if you already know how to cook, try something new! Have you ever baked bread from scratch? Made yogurt? Apple pie? The possibilities are endless!


3. know your stuff 
("An intelligent heart acquires knowledge; and the ear of the wise seek knowledge.") Proverbs 18:15

     ...in other words, study, study, study! It's important! Especially, if anything, study history. The more you know about history, the more you learn. History repeats itself. It's said that those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. You know, Americans spend countless hours of their life on video games, T.V., and more video games, and more T.V. It's high time we put that time to good use. Read The Hiding Place. Learn to play an instrument. Study about the Romans.

           Read, Study, and Learn. It's good for you. Believe me :).


4. play with little kids 
("...her children rise up and call her blessed..." Proverbs 31:30)

       Whether it's your little brother that you see everyday or that cute niece of yours you see every once in a while, you should take up the opportunity! Just like we like to see guys playing with kids, Prince Charming will probably like us to know how to raise a little kid. For those of you who say, "But...I can't practice on anyone!", I understand. My siblings are way older than me, and I don't get to see my baby cousins very often. But when I do, I try to make the most of it!  Yes, it's not easy. Yes, they can sometimes be annoying. Yes, sometimes we may not even feel like it. But you know what? Charles Spurgeon said once,  "You may speak but a word to a child, and in that child there may be slumbering a noble heart which shall stir the Christian Church in years to come."


5. plant a garden 
(or some yard work will do)

     Don't just flip through Better Homes and Gardens or look at Pinterest all afternnoon like you've got nothing better to do. Rake the lawn, or build a birdhouse, or plant some daisies, maybe even get some chickens. It'll keep you busy and bring you outdoors into the fresh air! And another thing, you'll feel good. Who wouldn't feel proud of herself if she planted an entire garden or milked ol' Maebelle twice a day?


6. capture the moment
(learn some camera skills)

     Take some pictures! Learn how to use a camera! If you grow up and have a cute little family, you should learn some photography to take pictures of those unforgettable moments. When you're old and grey, you'll want to look at pictures to bring back those fond memories. You may even like it. I can promise you this: you'll never regret it.



 

 



7. learn to love selflessly
("...as Christ loves the Church..." Eph. 5:25)

     It's hard. I know it is. It's never going to be something that's easy. But you know what? We're called to. We are ALL selfish by nature; I'm not even going to pretend we're not. Because we're not. We need to have an outward focus, a focus on those around us. Anytime we think we are the ones struggling, we should remember, other people are struggling, too. It's not all about us. We should reach out to them, and have an attitude of, "I want to serve you because I love you, like Someone Else once loved me."
 

8. "don't worry, baby"
("...everything's gonna turn out all right..." (Beach Boys, anyone?))

     Just don't worry about it. God's got it all planned out. It's not up to us whether we get married or not. Don't forsake your First Love--Jesus Christ (Rev. 2:4). Give Him the pen to your love story, and prepare yourself for something amazing to happen to your happily ever after. *grin*

 
 
      My point is, is that our single years don't have to be boring. They are such a blessing! Marriage is a wonderful thing, however, I don't think that's an excuse to make it something to worry about. In our single years, we can accomplish so much. We should be using our bachelorette-hood not to stress about marriage, but to prepare for it. And not only that, but to serve God and grow closer to Him!

       Could it be any better? :)

4 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AMAZING I LOVE THE PICS AND I LOVE LOVE YOUR WRIGHTING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You preach it girl!! I love your writing!! So much truth in it always. People really need to hear this kind of stuff more often. And especially people that already "know" it....like its so easy to go on saying "yep, I know that already" and then once you do that it kind of gets forgotten in the back of your head somewhere and then you hear it again...it interrupts your complaints and you're like "oh, right." Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...you're so sweet! Thank you :D

      I know what you mean: I hear a message over and over again and I think, "Yup...right...I know..." then I'm faced with it, and I remember. So I kind of laugh at myself for it *grin*

      Delete

Hey, there! Feel free to share your thoughts. Just keep it sweet (but real).

If you disagree with something I say, why, speak up! But just be nice, alrighty?

I really appreciate everyone's comments and support-- I feel so blessed to have friends like you!

Oh, and don't forget to check back to see my response...:D

Have a lovely day, and I can't wait to hear (or read, rather) your thoughts.

In Christ alone,
Miss Hatcher